Community Service/Volunteer Hours
How Do I Log My Volunteer Hours?
Please click on the document below for step by step directions on how to log your volunteer hours. It is very user friendly! Please email me with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Community Service?
You do not need community service hours to graduate, but it is highly recommended. Community service hours help your resume, college, and scholarship applications stand out. You are also recognized at graduation. For 50 to 99 hours, you receive 1 cord. For 100 hours, you receive 2 cords, etc.
Hours can be counted after the first day of school freshman year, all the way to the end of the 3rd 9-weeks senior year. Seniors MUST enter hours by midnight on <TBD> to count towards the graduation cords.
Things to Know About Community Service
EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 2016: Hours can be entered any time, but the deadline for entry is the end of the 3rd 9 Weeks Senior Year. Students are encouraged to stay on top of their hours so that they will be verified in a timely manner.
- Hours are logged online through TrackItForward.
- Hours must have been completed on/after the first day of 9th grade in order to count and be submitted. Any hours completed before the first day of 9th grade do NOT count towards cords and should not be entered on college applications.
- If you have questions about whether a certain event/activity counts as community service please email Dr. McCusker at email@example.com
Volunteer hours may be earned in both the school and community, as long as the student is donating their time and not benefiting from the service or receiving any pay. Please read below to see a more detailed description of community service.
- Services for an organization that a student belongs to will not be counted. For example, participation in a car wash sponsored by a club would not count as community service. An exception to this guideline would be if the organization is donating the profits (excluding expenses) to a charity.
- A student may earn volunteer hours by helping at an event or performance at which admission is charged or a donation collected, providing that the student is not a member of the organization benefiting from the event. For example, a student, who is not a member of the Drama Club, may volunteer to usher and collect tickets at a drama club production and earn service learning hours.
- Students may receive volunteer hours for helping at religious institutions as long as those hours do not include participation in a religious service. For example, a student is not eligible for hours spent teaching Sunday school, singing in the choir or serving as an altar server. However a student may receive service hours for assisting in landscaping, office work, clean up days or volunteering in the day care center.
- Service for a student’s family or family business will not count. Volunteer hours may not be certified by a family member or fellow student.
- Babysitting, or similar services, performed for an individual family, will not count. Babysitting services for school or in a church nursery related situation will count.
- Club meetings do not count as community service.
- Service hours will not be awarded for any in-kind or monetary donations including canned food collections, toy collections, etc. For example, a service hour value cannot be established for the donation of a specific number of cans of food. The time spent collecting the cans of food can count.
- Hours cannot be doubled and must represent actual time donated.
Community Service Opportunities
Below are local organizations and businesses who offer community service opportunities. When possible, phone numbers and contact names are provided. Any student interested in earning Community Service Hours needs to speak with a counselor and complete the necessary steps and paperwork.
If you represent an organization or business and would like to be listed, please contact
Dr. McCusker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Abandoned Animal Rescue (Tomball) 281-290-0121
Advance Headstart Program (Aldine Area) 713-812-0033
Aldine Youth Organization 281-449-4824
American Red Cross 713-526-8300
Angel Food Ministries (Magnolia) 281-356-6452
Big Brothers and Sisters of Montgomery County 281-292-4155
Bridgewood Farms (formerly Friends of Retarded) 936-856-6468 Flo Nelson
Conroe Medical Regional Center 936-539-7433
Cypress Assistance Ministries 281-955-7684
Family Time Thift Shop (Porter) 281-354-5590
Friendship Center (Conroe) 936-756-5828
Friendship Center (Magnolia) 281-259-6665
Goodwill Industries of Houston 713-692-6221
HAAM (Humble Area Assistance Ministries) 281-446-3663
Habitat for Humanity 936-441-4663
Helping Hands Community Garden 281-356-8743 Judy Rose
Humane Society of Montgomery County, Inc. 936-756-3914
Kingwood Medical Center 281-348-8000
Malcolm Purvis Library (Magnolia) 281-259-8324
Memorial Herman, The Woodlands Hospital 281-364-2300
Memorial Hospital Northwest 713-867-4460 Lisa Davis
Mission Northeast 281-354-1200
Montgomery County Emergency Assistance 936-539-9211
Montgomery County Food Bank 936-539-6686
Montgomery County Memorial Library 936-788-8377
Montgomery County Recycle Center (Magnolia) 281-356-4156 936-539-7816
Montgomery County United Way 281-292-4155
Montgomery County Woman's Center (18+) 281-292-4155
Montgomery County Youth Services 936-756-8682
NAM (Northwest Assistance Ministries) 281-885-4609 Peggy Ney
New Caney New Horizons 281-689-8500
Nourishment for the Needy 281-292-2695
Salvation Army (prefer 18+) 936-760-2440
SIRE, Inc. Therapeutic Horseback Riding (prefer 14+) 281-356-7588
Society of Samaritans (Magnolia) 281-259-8452
South County Community Clinic (18+) 281-364-7889
South County Branch Library 281-398-9110 Bonnie
South Montgomery County Volunteer Fire Department (14+) 281-363-3473 Roger
South Montgomery County Woodlands Chamber of Commerce 281-367-5777
Spring Area Assistance Ministries 281-353-4480
Special Olympics (New Caney) 281-689-8500
Sherry Lemley TEAM (Tomball Emergency Assistance Ministry) 281-351-6700 281-255-6967
Tomball Nursing Home 281-351-5443
Timber Lakes Volunteer Fire Department. 281-367-0373 Keith
United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast 713-957-4357
Women Helping Women 281-631-9744
Woodlands Community Service Corporation 936-273-4990 or 281-210-3950
Woodlands Friendship Center 281-292-6353
Woodlands Symphony Orchestra 281-364-7097
YMCA (Conroe & South Mont. County) 281-367-9622 Roxanne Magnolia/Tomball YMCA has opportunities for service after school. For more information, contact Stephanie Saker at Office: 281-356-4077