1. Complete Application
If you are applying to a Texas school, use www.applytexas.org
for your application website. Apply Texas allows you to complete one application and copy it to any other colleges you might be looking to apply to. As part of the application, some colleges require essays. Make sure to write these essays and have them checked for grammar and content.
- add detail to your application
- include EVERY activity, leadership position, and community service from your freshmen year to what you expect to complete your senior year
- highlight all the hard work, accomplishments, and honors you have put in over the past four years - BRAG on yourself! Some colleges look at your application for acceptance and scholarship opportunities!
- have someone check the application before submitting, feel free to stop by and have me check look it over
- payment must accompany most applications. If you receive free or reduced lunch and took your SAT/ACT with a waiver, you qualify for 4 college application waivers. See Mrs. Herzog for details.
Many private and out-of-state schools use the CommonApp.org The CommonApp often requires additional counselor input that I will need to complete. Let me know immediately if you are using the CommonApp. Please see me before asking teachers to do their recommendations. All recommendations/evaluations will go through your Family Connections account. You must link your Family Connections account to your CommonApp. Here are the steps to make this happen:
- Create your CommonApp account. (Magnolia High School code: 444-425)
- Under recommendations, check CA FERPA Waiver & Authorization box.
- Log into Family Connections and choose the "Colleges" tab, click "Colleges I'm Applying To" link.
- Once there, enter your CommonApp email address and click "Match".
- Notify me of your account.
Your transcript cannot be mailed through CommonApp until we have all of your evaluations uploaded as well. IF YOU ARE APPLYING AS AN EARLY DECISION STUDENT, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU NOTIFY ME OF THIS. It is very important that we discuss and get your ED Agreement taken care of in a timely manner.
Other School Applications
(UTHB, TCU, etc.)
Some private colleges use their own application that is not ApplyTexas or CommonApp. Please make sure you list Delena Herzog as your counselor, so I will receive emails on documents missing from your account. Often times these accounts will include a SendEDU PIN# after applying. Please make sure to get that to me, so that I can send your forms.
2. Send in your SAT or ACT Scores.
Colleges want official documentation of your scores. Log in to your CollegeBoard.org account or ACTstudent.org account to send your scores. You are allowed to send to 4 schools for free before you take the test. If you miss this opportunity or need to send to more than 4 schools, it is around $11 per additional score. Do this as soon as you know where you are applying!
3. Request your transcript
Transcripts are requested through Family Connections (connection.naviance.com/magnoliahigh) Please go to the "Colleges" tab. Click on "Transcripts" on the left side, go to Lookup on the right side, enter your colleges. Scroll to the bottom of the page, click on Request Transcripts. You can check the status of your transcripts through Family Connections.
4. Recommendation Requests
Many colleges do not require recommendation letters; however, if you do not meet the entrance requirements or are applying to a competitive college - send one or two letters of recommendations. Directions can be found on the "Recommendation Letters" page on the right side. If letters are optional, and you do not meet automatic admissions, it is HIGHLY recommended that you submit letters of recommendation.
5. After Applying
After submitting your application, you should receive an AIS (Applicant Information Systems) account to track your application. You MUST log in and check to make sure that all parts have been received in a timely manner. DO NOT wait until the week before the deadline, as your documents might not make it. Please notify me of any documents that have not been received.
Please list Mrs. Herzog as your counselor on ALL college and scholarship applications.
Notify Mrs. Herzog of ALL college acceptances and scholarship offers, regardless of whether attending or not.