1. TALK to your parents about finances. Many college decisions are based on money. NOW, is the time to have this conversation.
2. Complete Application
If you are applying to a PUBLIC Texas school
, use www.applytexas.org
for your application website. Apply Texas allows you to complete one application and copy it to any other colleges you might be looking to attend. As part of the application, some colleges require essays. Make sure to write these essays and have them checked for grammar and content.
- add detail to your application
- include EVERY activity, leadership position, and community service from your freshmen year to what you expect to complete your senior year
- highlight all the hard work, accomplishments, and honors you have put in over the past four years - BRAG on yourself! Some colleges look at your application for acceptance and scholarship opportunities!
- have someone check the application before submitting, feel free to stop by and have me check look it over.
- payment must accompany most applications. If you receive free or reduced lunch and took your SAT/ACT with a waiver, you qualify for 4 college application waivers. See Mrs. Herzog for details.
Many private and out-of-state schools use the CommonApp.org The CommonApp often requires additional counselor input that I will need to complete. Let me know immediately if you are using the CommonApp. Please see me before asking teachers to do their recommendations. All recommendations/evaluations will go through the Common app. Your transcript cannot be uploaded through CommonApp until we have all of your evaluations uploaded as well. IF YOU ARE APPLYING AS AN EARLY DECISION STUDENT, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU NOTIFY ME OF THIS. It is very important that we discuss your decision and get your ED Agreement taken care of in a timely manner.
Other School Applications
(UTHB, TCU, etc.)
Some private colleges use their own application not ApplyTexas or CommonApp. Please make sure you list Delena Herzog as your counselor, so I will receive emails on documents missing from your account. Often times these accounts will include a SendEDU PIN# after applying. Please make sure to get that number to me, so that I can send your forms.
3. Send in your SAT or ACT Scores plus your transcript for any DUAL courses you took.
Colleges want official documentation of your scores. Log in to your CollegeBoard.org account or ACTstudent.org account to send your scores. You are allowed to send to 4 schools for free before you take the test. If you miss this opportunity or need to send to more than 4 schools, it is around $11 per additional score. Do this as soon as you know where you are applying! Request your Lone Star transcript at www.LoneStar.edu, under MyLoneStar.
4. Request your transcript
Transcripts for Magnolia High School are requested on the Transcript tab by completing a google doc.
5. Recommendation Requests
Many colleges do not require recommendation letters; however, if you do not meet the entrance requirements or are applying to a competitive college - send one or two letters of recommendations. Directions can be found on the "Recommendation Letters" page on the right side. If letters are optional, and you do not meet automatic admissions, it is HIGHLY recommended that you submit letters of recommendation.
6. After Applying
After submitting your application, you should receive an AIS (Applicant Information Systems) account to track your application. You MUST log in and check to make sure that all parts have been received in a timely manner. DO NOT wait until the week before the deadline, as your documents might not make it. Please notify me of any documents that have not been received.
Please list Mrs. Herzog as your counselor on ALL college and scholarship applications.
Notify Mrs. Herzog of ALL college acceptances and scholarship offers, regardless of whether you are attending or not.